Sunday, May 24, 2009

Documentary: Before The Music Dies

As I've mentioned in prior blogs, the arts & music mean everything to me. I mean, I honestly cannot leave home without my 80 gig Ipod classic; I love that freaking device. You see, music is like an engine that keeps me going, and momentarily takes many of my worries away. It allows me to appreciate where I've been, where I've come from, and where I'm going. Music is so powerful that it effortlessly takes me on a voyage to my childhood, my first kiss, my first crush. Then on the next music track, delivers me to my first true love, the first time I told someone "I LOVE YOU", my first affectionate embrace. Music has the ability to remove me from my current worries and premonitions, and take me to a safe haven, even if just for a moment in time.

I love music, cause it's been so good to me. It's been my best friend. We've been through it all together. However, for many years, I've continuously voiced my opinion on how music was just not the same anymore. Of how it was slowly turning into something else. Sadly, over the years, music has become a beauty pageant; a popularity contest; JUST A MONEY THING. The skill, talent, sacrifices, and determination of an artist have been set aside, made secondary, and a concentration has been placed on how marketable an individual can be. Bottom line is: "What sells?" "How much money can we make off of this person?"

I'm only 30 now, and to be honest, I really don't know enough of music as a whole. I mean, I would need a few years in a conservatory to review the works of all of the greats and be able to really appreciate it. My God, wouldn't that be something? I would honestly LOVE to do that. But, If there's something I do know, and something I've been able to observe over the last 20 years, is that there's clearly been a loss of respect & appreciation for this amazing art, an art that's slowly dying among the new masses. I repeat, a loss of respect & appreciation for this amazing ART, AN ART THAT'S SLOW DYING AMONG THE NEW MASSES.

Rapper Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones aka NAS, personally the deepest hip hop lyricist I've ever encountered, was cursed at, made fun off, and talked about on numerous records, when he titled his December 2006 release,"Hip Hop Is Dead." But, don't you think NAS was on to something? I think he was, but you see it goes beyond the genre of Hip Hop. Regardless of the few, and I mean very few artists with true raw talent out there, there's not much that's really being done to keep the true essence of music alive for our children, and our children's children.

In "Before the Music Dies", a documentary by Andrew Shapter & Joel Rasmussen, they hit this important topic right on the head. These friends united, and as a tribute to their lost siblings, who were musicians, directed an impacting, and inspirational story of music, it's roots, and where it's sadly heading.

I can't finish this blog off without giving a shout out to my current favorite kick-ass website, www.hulu.com. I honestly cannot go to bed at night without seeing another clip, or bits of an intriguing documentary. Make sure to check them out.

Peace, love & keep the music ALIVE. If you have a moment, check out this documentary.

2 comments:

Mr Bru Cru said...

I liked this piece a lot man. I had no problem with the whole NAS album naming thing, I thought he had the right to name it that..he should come out with another one and have it be part 2 because music has simply just not been the same. I saw the first 5 min of the documentary and it looks real interesting and intriguing but its 530am and Im at work so I cant even concentrate on it so Ill check it out when I go home. Definitely keep the blog up man, the same way you disconnect yourself from reality and all its worries through your ipod, I do it through a pen and paper and just write. Its good to share that with someone. Keep writing man. Much love and respect.

HA!!!

JEGZ aka Black Casanova said...

As always man, Thanks. You inspire me bro. Good Looks. Much Love as well.

Haaa!!! lol.